Statcounter

Sunday 28 September 2014

Lyonsdown

Holy Trinity, LNK, isn't mentioned by Mee or Pevsner but is a dreary pseudo Norman Victorian build entirely lacking merit - frankly it's the zit you wake up to on the morning of your wedding.

Since there's no Pevsner I am going to replace him with a rant about extreme, nay cultish, far right evangelical Christians.

Having taken, almost impossible, exteriors I tried the porch door and found it open but the church door was locked, which I was expecting. As I started to leave, however, the internal door was opened a fraction by a young man, and I mean a fraction - all I could see was his head leaning round the door - and the following conversation occurred:

Youth - "What do you want?"

Me - "Would it be possible to have a look around the church and take some photographs?"

Youth pauses for about a second (probably not even that long)and fires back in a tone that is antagonistic, hostile and defensive all at the same time - "No".

Which is fine and I leave. Except it's not. I came across this sort of Nazi Christianity in Plaistow last year and, whilst I'm fully open to the notion that he was a satanist who had broken in to the church and was sacrificing a virgin on the altar beneath an inverted crucifix, I think he was a fully fledged member of the evangelical church (I Googled Lyonsdown when I got home and they're plainly nutters); probably.

Why are the evangelic evangelicals so hostile and defensive whilst spouting their mission? I think that a simple open church policy would serve them far better rather than their simplistic literal interpretation of biblical learning.

Holy Trinity (2)


3 comments:

  1. Superb. Some Evangelical churches are OK (and even open!), but many are just self-serving and hostile to anyone outside their community. It doesn't help that the building is just considered of very little importance, and so any visitors interested in the architecture are treated with contempt.

    I would have done some severe arm-twisting here to get inside - I consider "no" a challenge that must be overcome, no matter how dreary the building may seem. After all, if they are saying "no" then it must contain some spectacular, hither undocumented features worth recording, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging from the exterior I seriously doubt the interior contains anything of merit besides which there was no yield to be had from the unpleasant youth!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete